A common misconception amongst marketers is around the ages, race, and income level of people using the Internet in South Africa. We take an objective look at who is using the Internet.
More than one-third of us are Internet users. Use is spread evenly through age-groups. Two-thirds of users of the Internet are black. Almost two-thirds are in households with under R12k per month income. Within each race group, just over one-fifth of black and coloured people are Internet users. For white people, more than two-thirds are Internet users. Within age-groups, almost two-thirds of 25-34’s are Internet users, whereas less than one-fifth of 50+’s are Internet users.
Of all Internet users, 50% are accessing using their mobile phone (smartphone or feature phone) and 10% are accessing using their tablet. Half of white people access using their mobile phone or tablet, while two-thirds of black people access using their tablet. Two-thirds of 15-24’s access using their tablet or mobile phone, while just under half of the 50+’s access using their mobile phone or tablet. About two-thirds of the of the of the lowest household income group access via their mobile phone or tablet, while half of the highest income group access via their mobile phone or tablet.
While, sadly, there is a disparity between income groups, race-groups, and age-groups, it is clear that a large portion of South Africans are using the Internet and increasingly more are using the Internet via their mobile phones
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020