Fresh from the second annual BlackBerry Jam in Amsterdam, Arthur gives us the low down and shares key insights from the developer convention.
Arthur Goldstuck in conversation with BizRadio’s Grant Jansen
PODCAST | Click HERE to listen
For more updates visit Gadget.co.za
BlackBerry announced the opening of app submissions to the BlackBerry World storefront vendor portal for the upcoming BlackBerry Q10 smartphone
Developers were treated to a feast of options and opportunities as this 2nd annual BlackBerry Jam developer event. Alec Saunders, VP Developer Relations, earned the biggest applause when he announced that a 12 000 limited edition run of the new BlackBerry Z10 phone, in “racing red”, was being produced for developers as a “thank you” for their commitment to the BlackBerry 10 platform.Intended for those who had developed apps in time for the launch of the platform last week, the deadline has been extended to February 28. Developers who had previously qualified for a BlackBerry Dev Alpha A or B testing device may swap the test device for the red phone. (Details here: developer.blackberry.com)
A Dev Alpha C device was also announced for developers: an advance version of the Q10, the forthcoming BlackBerry 10 device with QWERTY keyboard.
Several more significant announcements were made;
- The BlackBerry World vendor portal has been opened to apps specifically targeting the Q10, allowing developers to have their apps published as soon as the BlackBerry Q10 is launched – expected in April this year.
- An updated developer toolkit was also announced for the Q10, providing developers with a BlackBerry Q10 simulator, and allowing them to optimise apps for the phone’s 720 x 720 display. (Details here: devblog.blackberry.com/blackberry-q10-sdk-update)
With 1500 developers, media and analysts in attendance, BlackBerry Jam Europe was sold out for a second year in a row, indicating that interest had not waned in the intervening year, despite a long and heavily criticised wait for the January 30 launch of BlackBerry 10. At launch, the new BlackBerry World app store hosted 70 000 BlackBerry 10 apps at launch – “more apps than any first-generation mobile platform”, BlackBerry has continually reminded developers.
Join Grant Jansen (@Kapetonian) every weekday morning from 10 to noon for the Daily Biz on Biz Radio. Stay in touch with Grant at @Biz_Radio on twitter, Biz_radio on Skype and [email protected] to mail him.
- Making news headlines this week | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 21, 2022
- Motoring News – Chery Tiggo 8 – Suzuki V-Storm DL-650 | #Motoring | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 21, 2022
- The State We’re In 2022 – Six Trend Pillars for this year | #Trends | #Insight | Dion Chang | Flux Trends | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2022
- Female Leadership – Success Factors and Barriers to Overcome | #Insight | #ChangeConversations | Mpume Ncube-Daka | Moloko Komane | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2022
- Taming the ‘black swan’ gives rise to the Gig economy | #Opinion | #Mamiki Matlawa | Qunu Staffing | #ebizradio - January 17, 2022
- In the news this week | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 14, 2022
- BE BOLD, BE BRAVE | #UnscriptedLife | Clive Vanderwagen | Craig Urbani |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 14, 2022
- Are you thinking of buying a pre-owned 4×4? | #Motoring | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 13, 2022
- How Paying it Forward in business changes the environment | #LTC | Lunchtime Series | Kevin Britz | Helen Martin | #Podcast | #ebizradio - January 12, 2022
- How professionals create good money habits | Change Conversations | Mpume Ncube Daka | Amanda Dambuza | #ebizradio | #Podcast - January 11, 2022