Fresh from the second annual BlackBerry Jam in Amsterdam, Arthur gives us the low down and shares key insights from the developer convention.
Arthur Goldstuck in conversation with BizRadio’s Grant Jansen
PODCAST | Click HERE to listen
For more updates visit Gadget.co.za
BlackBerry announced the opening of app submissions to the BlackBerry World storefront vendor portal for the upcoming BlackBerry Q10 smartphone
Developers were treated to a feast of options and opportunities as this 2nd annual BlackBerry Jam developer event. Alec Saunders, VP Developer Relations, earned the biggest applause when he announced that a 12 000 limited edition run of the new BlackBerry Z10 phone, in “racing red”, was being produced for developers as a “thank you” for their commitment to the BlackBerry 10 platform.Intended for those who had developed apps in time for the launch of the platform last week, the deadline has been extended to February 28. Developers who had previously qualified for a BlackBerry Dev Alpha A or B testing device may swap the test device for the red phone. (Details here: developer.blackberry.com)
A Dev Alpha C device was also announced for developers: an advance version of the Q10, the forthcoming BlackBerry 10 device with QWERTY keyboard.
Several more significant announcements were made;
- The BlackBerry World vendor portal has been opened to apps specifically targeting the Q10, allowing developers to have their apps published as soon as the BlackBerry Q10 is launched – expected in April this year.
- An updated developer toolkit was also announced for the Q10, providing developers with a BlackBerry Q10 simulator, and allowing them to optimise apps for the phone’s 720 x 720 display. (Details here: devblog.blackberry.com/blackberry-q10-sdk-update)
With 1500 developers, media and analysts in attendance, BlackBerry Jam Europe was sold out for a second year in a row, indicating that interest had not waned in the intervening year, despite a long and heavily criticised wait for the January 30 launch of BlackBerry 10. At launch, the new BlackBerry World app store hosted 70 000 BlackBerry 10 apps at launch – “more apps than any first-generation mobile platform”, BlackBerry has continually reminded developers.
Join Grant Jansen (@Kapetonian) every weekday morning from 10 to noon for the Daily Biz on Biz Radio. Stay in touch with Grant at @Biz_Radio on twitter, Biz_radio on Skype and [email protected] to mail him.
- The Truth About Xenophobia in South Africa |#Insights |#Devan Moonsamy - September 16, 2019
- FLEXIBLE WORKSPACE IS THE NEW FRANCHISE FRONTIER | #eBizInsights - September 16, 2019
- How the office will change by 2025 in Africa? |#eBizInsights - September 13, 2019
- Its more than gender based violence – it’s a complete collapse of our moral fibre and care for our fellow man|#PayItForward |#Ingrid von Stein - September 13, 2019
- Your own free Trade Mark search |#Insights |#IP Braai - September 13, 2019
- The MediaShop dominates MOST Awards! - September 11, 2019
- Are you Emotional Intelligent in your work place? |#Insight Trends |# Losego Motshele - September 11, 2019
- Reaching the base of the pyramid consumer has to be highly relevant|#Marketing Insights |#Lorraine Gwewera - September 11, 2019
- As entrepreneurs and business managers we are expected to speak in front of people – here are a few tips |#Insight |#Howard Feldman - September 10, 2019
- Making the transition to Dynamics 365 - September 10, 2019