Today Stefan chats to our Producer Nic (not the normal Nick Snow) about how Bounty’s new Lifestyle brands are well positioned in the industry as well as some Insights from Stefan on the retail market as a whole. These insights were obviously key when these brands were purchased and we discuss these points below:
”Bounty Brands’ first three acquisitions were: direct selling business Table Charm, footwear and apparel company Chappers Sports Direct, and cosmetics company Cosmetix. Rabe” says Stefan.
Bounty Brands invests in successful entrepreneurial businesses that have a proven track record and a good management team. “We focus on brands that are defensible, recognisable and have a market-leading presence. We do extensive research and if we like a sector, we aggressively pursue complimentary brands and businesses.”
Table Charm distributes three main brands: the Table Charm range of homeware products, Zonke healing creams and Style fragrances. Products are marketed and distributed in South Africa and neighbouring African countries.
Stefan adds, “Established over 40 years ago, Table Charm is one of the top five direct selling businesses in South Africa. Its Table Charm brand is aspirational, to be used for special occasions. Zonke and Style are more recent brands, but now make up close to 25% of revenue.”
Chappers Sports Direct distributes VANS footwear and apparel, a rapidly-growing street-wear brand, to leading retailers across Southern Africa and is currently available in over 1000 stores.
It also owns several VANS Concept Stores, with three more stores due to open in the next year. Founder of Chappers Sports Direct, Nigel Chapman, has been appointed Managing Director for Bounty Wear and has been tasked with identifying complimentary brands for potential acquisition.
Cosmetix was founded over 10 years ago by Clive Roberts and his wife, Cindy Nell-Roberts (former Miss SA). It owns several brands, including SA’s market leading self-tanning range, Caribbean Tan, and is the licensed distributer of the Essence and Catrice range of colour cosmetics. Essence is currently the market leading colour cosmetics brand in Germany. Locally its growth has outstripped rivals and it is already the top selling brand in 1 major retailer.
More businesses are likely to be added to Bounty Brands before the end of the first quarter of 2015, bringing total revenue to around R1-billion and operating profit to over R200-million. Over the next three years, the group aims to grow revenue to over R5-billion and operating profit to close to R1-billion. This growth is expected to come primarily from South Africa, but it is already assessing opportunities in Africa and beyond. Bounty Brands will then list on the JSE in 2017. “There are many significant opportunities in the consumer goods sector. Our acquisition model allows entrepreneurs to benefit from our future listing and this attracts good businesses to Bounty.”
- Why are we as African’s still turning a blind eye to child abuse and neglect, holding no-one accountable? - September 29, 2020
- Why is local no longer lekker? | #eBizWires | Richard Firth - September 29, 2020
- The evolution of email to emerge as a marketing power tool| #eBizWires - September 29, 2020
- New uses for Commercial Office Space| #eBizTrends | Dion Chang | Podcasts - September 28, 2020
- Why cultivating leadership is imperative to every organisation! |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Passmore Matupire |#Podcast |#Leadership |#ebizradio - September 28, 2020
- Have you considered living and working in the USA? Reinventing yourself abroad |#LTM |#KevinBritz |#BjornSalsone |Andrea Magni |#Marketing |#Podcast - September 24, 2020
- Vator Pitch? What is it and why do you need one? |#KevinBritz |#LTC |Toyin Ademola |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 23, 2020
- The Attention Economy and its Impact on Media |Donald Mokgale |#LetsTalkDigital |#AudreyNaidoo |#Carat - September 23, 2020
- Broke, homeless but resilient |#LTC |#KevinBritz | Heidi Poulton |#Wellness |#Podcast |#ebizradio - September 22, 2020
- Democratising Investing| #eBizInsights | Sebastian Patel| #Podcast |#FRANC - September 22, 2020