The new-look Rand Show just got bigger and better for gamers and geeks. The show’s Play Zone 2 is being transformed into every escapist’s dream as the Festival of Gaming explodes onto the scene from 8-13 April 2020.
The team at NAG has partnered with the Rand Show to turn Hall 8 into an epic geek destination. The Festival of Gaming will play host to a variety of video games, gadgets, tech, esports and cosplay, plus a feast of other pop culture delights.
Digital battles, booming bandwidth, all the gaming and tech gadgets you need and loads of cool toys, collectibles and must-have gear, along with tournaments and other digital attractions, will be on hand to tempt seasoned geeks and newcomers alike.
Michael James, Publisher of NAG and Senior Project Manager of Vodacom rAge says, “Our objective at NAG has always been to grow the gaming industry. The exciting reinvention of the Rand Show in 2020 is a fantastic opportunity for us to showcase the culture we all love so much to an audience that hasn’t been exposed to our industry on such a large scale. We’re also working on bringing a few amazing experiences to our existing community by leveraging off the footprint and power of the Rand Show. We look forward to fresh gaming, technology and geek culture for everyone while staying true to our hardcore gaming audience. The NAG, Vodacom rAge and Rush esports teams have come together to use their combined influence and existing audience reach to bring an enticing new digital energy to the legendary Rand Show.”
This partnership also means that NAG is moving their annual Rush esports event to the Festival of Gaming in 2020. The event will celebrate its fourth iteration by expanding scope to include casual gamers while still hosting tournaments for professional players. This is in line with the company’s objective of growing local esports by enabling new audiences to participate in and experience this global phenomenon.
Ulanova Visser, Marketing Director of Vodacom 4U, Vodacom’s Youth Branded Channel says, “Rush esports is going to cause a huge spectacle at the Rand Show this year, and Vodacom 4U can’t wait for the big reveal on 8 April. This is South Africa’s biggest show, so of course we have to bring something that matches its stature. It’s going to be huge.”
Another exciting addition to the Festival of Gaming will be the World Cosplay Summit (WCS) South African Championship. Beginning in 2003, World Cosplay Summit has grown to be the largest cosplay event in the world – teams of two must design and create their own costumes, as well as perform a skit, of their favourite Japanese pop culture characters. In August 2020, over 40 countries will send their representatives to Japan to compete in the WCS Championship, where one team will be crowned the WCS Champion. The Festival of Gaming will be hosting the WCS South African Championship round, where the country’s top cosplayers will battle it out to become the National Champion, and fly to Japan in 2021 to take on the world’s best in the biggest cosplay competition in the world.
Les Allen, WCS Regional Organiser for South Africa says, “South Africa has a special place in the WCS global community, being the ONLY country in Africa to be a participant nation. This represents a massive opportunity for local cosplayers – the chance to represent your country and take on the best in the world. 2020 will be our third year in WCS, with our previous national teams performing exceptionally well – our 2019 team placed in the top 8 after the Tokyo round this year.”
“Partnering with the Festival of Gaming is a truly exciting opportunity to further showcase South Africa’s incredible array of cosplayers, who are already making their mark in the pop culture scene around the world. We look forward to having the Rand Show crowds cheer on the best cosplayers in the country as we search for our next National Champion team.”
Craig Newman, CEO of the Johannesburg Expo Centre said, “The Rand Show is moving with the times and reinventing itself for a new generation. The Festival of Gaming is adding a whole new dimension to the show for visitors – both new and old – to discover. The 2020 show is shaping up to be the biggest yet. We’re all ready to go and very excited about launching this brand-new attraction.”
Tickets to the Rand Show will go on sale on Black Friday 29 November 2019 on the Rand Show website. This Black Friday only, discover the Rand Show and the Festival of Gaming at a fraction of the price. Buy one ticket and get one free. A single day pass will get you into any one of the six show days and includes access to the Festival of Gaming. Max per person: two tickets per basket and stocks are limited.
The Festival of Gaming will be in Play Zone 2, Hall 8 at the Rand Show, Johannesburg Expo Centre, Nasrec from 8-13 April 2020. #MyRandShow #festivalofgaming
- Women are winning in the Wine World | #Entrepreneur | #Wines | #Winery | Lindi Tshabangu | Silindile Zuma | Nanola Wines | #Podcast - August 15, 2022
- How do we support those businesses with a turnover over R10 million? | #Insight | #Growth | #Business | Ingrid von Stein | Diane Boorman - August 15, 2022
- Are you ready for the drone economy? | #Technology | #Economy | #Insight | Dean Conde | iOCO Digital - August 12, 2022
- Same Old Story | #Music | Business Brunch | #Artist | Björn Salsone | Lia Elise | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- Understanding your customer segmentation | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- How to stay CONNECTED whilst traveling | #Technology | Ingrid von Stein | Arthur Goldstuck | Gadget.co.za | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- Weekly Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | #Motoring | Tumelo Maketekete | #Podcast - August 11, 2022
- The future of SA Live Music? |#BigFishStories | Eitan Stern | Simon Attwell | Legalese |#Podcast - August 10, 2022
- Can you actually measure CULTURE? | #Business | #Coaching | #HR | Kevin Britz | Jerome Parisse-Brassens | Walking the Talk | #Podcast - August 10, 2022
- Weekly Motoring News | #Motoring | Tumelo Maketekete | Diesel and Dust | #Podcast - August 10, 2022