Municipal surveillance ensures citizens’ safety
Wi-Fi hotspots can be found at hundreds of thousands of locations worldwide, as more and more municipalities are offering free Wi-Fi and other citizen-centric services. The pervasive availability of Internet connectivity means anyone can surf the Web, from their front lawn to their local coffee shop, to airports and hotels, all at the click of a button.
However, just because you can connect to these open portals from your smartphone, tablet or laptop, doesn’t mean you should, says Gerald Naidoo, CEO of Logikal Consulting. “Particularly in a country where crime is rife, it is not safe to pull your laptop and smartphone out in a public place to use these services. Given that municipalities have introduced these services, it is their responsibility to put measures in place to ensure users’ safety,” he says.
“In addition, as cities and towns expand, security in areas used by everyone becomes increasingly important. A constant flow of visitors and customers is crucial to the success of local businesses, restaurants and suchlike, and video surveillance is the perfect solution to keep customers safe, and these businesses thriving.”
He cites several benefits of municipal surveillance. “Increased business for one. Cameras set up in risky spots, or high traffic areas definitely help to lower street crime, and drive people to shops, restaurants and similar, boosting local revenues.”
Lowered crime rates are also a benefit, he continues. “Security cameras installed in the right spots help to lower crime, reduce vandalism, and help law enforcement agencies to apprehend crooks whose ill deeds are caught on camera.”
Similarly, he says surveillance helps to improve public areas, by encouraging business, and making citizens feel safer when making use of public areas such as squares and parks.
“Another benefit is a better relationship between municipalities and the businesses they house. Increased co-operation helps to foster good relationships, while improving security at the same time. It also helps businesses and municipalities anticipate, prepare and respond to security threats quickly and effectively.”
He says the Verint solution, which Logikal supplies to its customers, can help to protect people, property and assets. “Verint solutions have been implemented in a variety of sectors, such as government, law enforcement, transportation, critical infrastructure, and commercial businesses.”
Naidoo says criminal activities, including theft, vandalism and petty crime are driving demand for innovative solutions that can enhance security to help anticipate, prepare, and respond to threats. “Verint’s Security Intelligence Solutions help government and other organisations protect people, property, and assets while enhancing public safety.”
He says the solutions generate actionable intelligence by using a combination of the analysis of voice, video, and unstructured text. In addition, the cameras boast features such as biometric enabled licence plate recognition, gunshot sensors, and suchlike.
“This intelligence allows security professionals and first responders to take a more comprehensive, effective approach to gathering intelligence, managing security operations, optimising emergency management, and improving safety and security,” Naidoo concludes.
Behind the Scenes
Logikal Consulting is rapidly growing systems Integration Company with presence in South Africa, India and across Africa. The company provides dynamic consulting, expert integration and outsourcing services for a global clientele covering six key industry verticals: financial services, banking and insurance, telecoms, manufacturing, retail, logistics and public sector.
Logikal Consulting’s technology, skills and services enable organisations to achieve optimum operational efficiency, with one goal – converting strategies into measurable operational benefits by deploying the right technology. Combining cross-industry best practices with extensive solutions deployment experience, Logikal’s consulting puts customers on the path from concept to realised revenue and business value.
Specialising in Enterprise Content Management, Enterprise Resource Planning and automated workflow solutions – all delivered through SLA-driven programmes and effective governance structures, the company offers general IT consulting, architecture design, programme management, systems integration, independent testing, managed services, production support and network operations.
In specialised areas, Logikal Consulting has a successful track record of delivering telecommunications solutions – Logikal TSI – which provide product bundling, multi-channel customer experience management, converged billing, customer portals and end-to-end solutions for operators. All of the company’s solutions support green IT goals, having a positive impact on the bottom line.
For more information visit Logikal on www.logikalconsulting.com
- How to innovate in publishing – Pivoting the publishing industry toward purpose |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth |Arthur Attwell - October 26, 2020
- Load shedding wrecks work from home strategies | #eBizInsights| Richard Firth - October 26, 2020
- Are you keeping up with the latest Leadership trends? |#LTL |#Leadership |#Podcast |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Ian Dawson - October 26, 2020
- It is all about the money, or is it? |#LTS |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz | #Podcast | #CandidConversations |#Business |#ebizradio - October 23, 2020
- The marketing story behind The Good Things Guy |#KevinBritz |#Brent Lindeque |#BjornSalsone |#Marketing | #Podcast |#ebizradio - October 22, 2020
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020