“It is true that both have been abused, and in many instances, become too commercialised but it is also true that done with respect, it can pay tribute to the legacy of Nelson Mandela.
“We believe that his name should be respected and only associated with excellence and used with integrity. In order to ensure freshness around the Mandela name and image, it needs to tie back to who he was as an iconic leader and what he stood for in South Africa and the world.
“Just like Madiba’s favourite, colourful and intricately patterned shirts, good design is tailor-made. In the same way, we crafted the 100-year logo for the Nelson Mandela University in Port Elizabeth specifically to celebrate his mentorship and wisdom, which will continue to guide in future as we try and change the world… for the better.
“Mandela’s shirts represented the diverse cultures of Africa and because of the meaning behind them, continue to resonate and stay relevant after his death. Good design, which is genuine and holds value, stands the test of time.
“Good design lives to tell the tale. These are the kind of designs we create at our studio. This also relates to how the 100-year centenary logo encapsulates the story and legacy of Nelson Mandela. Not only does the logo emulate the numbers ‘100’ and ‘18’, the 18, which is representative of the Nelson Mandela’s date of birth.
“His legacy is infinite therefore the zeros in the ‘100’ also resemble an infinity symbol. Nelson Mandela’s values and qualities continue to lead many individuals. Having the infinity element incorporated into the logo signifies a continual move towards a sustainable future and his continued vision to change the world.”
Albert Engelbrecht is CEO of Creative Caterpillar, a design agency that recently overhauled the entire corporate identity of the Nelson Mandela University in Port Elizabeth.
We know that through good design, we can create change.
Creative Caterpillar Website
Creative Caterpillar on Facebook
Albert Engelbrecht on LinkedIn
Creative Caterpillar Instagram
Phone: +27 21 851 0606
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020