“It is true that both have been abused, and in many instances, become too commercialised but it is also true that done with respect, it can pay tribute to the legacy of Nelson Mandela.
“We believe that his name should be respected and only associated with excellence and used with integrity. In order to ensure freshness around the Mandela name and image, it needs to tie back to who he was as an iconic leader and what he stood for in South Africa and the world.
“Just like Madiba’s favourite, colourful and intricately patterned shirts, good design is tailor-made. In the same way, we crafted the 100-year logo for the Nelson Mandela University in Port Elizabeth specifically to celebrate his mentorship and wisdom, which will continue to guide in future as we try and change the world… for the better.
“Mandela’s shirts represented the diverse cultures of Africa and because of the meaning behind them, continue to resonate and stay relevant after his death. Good design, which is genuine and holds value, stands the test of time.
“Good design lives to tell the tale. These are the kind of designs we create at our studio. This also relates to how the 100-year centenary logo encapsulates the story and legacy of Nelson Mandela. Not only does the logo emulate the numbers ‘100’ and ‘18’, the 18, which is representative of the Nelson Mandela’s date of birth.
“His legacy is infinite therefore the zeros in the ‘100’ also resemble an infinity symbol. Nelson Mandela’s values and qualities continue to lead many individuals. Having the infinity element incorporated into the logo signifies a continual move towards a sustainable future and his continued vision to change the world.”
Albert Engelbrecht is CEO of Creative Caterpillar, a design agency that recently overhauled the entire corporate identity of the Nelson Mandela University in Port Elizabeth.
We know that through good design, we can create change.
Creative Caterpillar Website
Creative Caterpillar on Facebook
Albert Engelbrecht on LinkedIn
Creative Caterpillar Instagram
Phone: +27 21 851 0606
- Coronavirus will speed up 4IR| #eBizTechnology | Arthur Goldstuck | Podcast - April 3, 2020
- Do you have the grit to go on your own? |#Entrepreneur |#Naomi Butow | Podcast - April 3, 2020
- How do the “Differently-abled” cope with Lock-down? |#Health |#Veronica Pronk | Podcast - April 3, 2020
- We are all running a marathon right now|#Lifestyle |#AJ Venter |#Mike Sewell - April 1, 2020
- The world of digital media is set to change | #eBizInsights | Jarred Mailer-Lyons - March 30, 2020
- It’s collaboration time for Online Radio |#Insights |#Ingrid von Stein - March 30, 2020
- At a time of Lockdown, Online Media offers new opportunities | #eBizInsights| Ursula McDonald | Podcast - March 26, 2020
- A forced stop! Now what? | #eBizInsights | Howard Feldman - March 26, 2020
- What you need to know before buying a second hand car #Insight |#Kriben Reddy |#TransUnion | Podcast - March 24, 2020
- A guide to working from home | # eBizInsights | #eBizHealth | Devan Moonsamy - March 23, 2020