Body language offers remarkable insights that can be used to improve organisational culture, employee motivation and so much more
By Howard Feldman
In the past, the idea of body language was dismissed. It was woo-woo. It wasn’t perceived as being real. It was hype to sell to the gullible. We now know that this could not be further from the truth. Research continues to prove that the ability to understand and decode body language is not only inherent, but also essential for stronger communication and relationships.
We now also know that that the words we use communicate a surprisingly low percentage of the message, with body language and tone making up the rest. Some non-verbal signs are easily read, others need to be learned, but ultimately an understanding of body language is vital for business and personal success.
There are some aspects of body language that people intuitively understand or identify. Nervous hand twitching, restless feet – the person is nervous or anxious. Open and expansive body language – the person is confident and comes across as strong. However, while you’re judging the body language of the people sitting around you, are you watching your own? What are your body signals saying about you and what emotion are they betraying?
Often, people don’t look at their own body language and forget to manage the messages that they are sending out. They also don’t realise that by manipulating their own body language movements or actions, can impact their own moods and reactions. Research has found that it doesn’t matter if a person laughs naturally or forces a laugh, in both cases the result is a change in demeanour and serotonin levels. The entire psychological reaction is identical whether real or fake.
Research has also shown that when people win at a race or in a sporting event, the most common body pose is arms outstretched. Even blind athletes adopt the same pose. It is the powerful Yes! of success. The arms outstretched make us look bigger and more powerful. Curled into a ball we are conveying fear or sorrow. Recognising these poses can fundamentally impact on how you engage at work or build an engaging corporate culture. Not sure how?
Let’s take another study. This one took 2,000 people into an interview situation. They were split into two groups before they were asked to take part in an extremely difficult interview process. The one group was told to stand in the power pose – hands on hips, legs askance and chest out – for a few minutes, the other was not asked to do anything at all. The interviewers didn’t know which group did the power pose and which did not. The end result? The interviewers invariably went for the interviewees who had done the power pose. Holding the pose had changed their entire demeanour from negative to positive and communicative.
Success lies not only in recognising how another person’s body language impacts on your own conversations, but in how your body language does the same.
These non-verbal skills can be used to encourage and inspire employees, to manage different personality types and to streamline communication. By using the right stances, techniques and behaviours, individuals and organisations can shift the way they are perceived and create positive, collaborative and open relationships and workspaces.
ABOUT Howard Feldman
Howard Feldman is one of South Africa’s leading entrepreneurs. His experience is global and extensive, spanning more than 20 years of working as a businessman, philanthropist and social commentator. Feldman was the chairperson of the Board of the South African Jewish Report, the only weekly Jewish newspaper in Africa, and he is a global keynote speaker, business strategist, author and morning drive show host. Regularly published in local and global publications, Feldman provides insights into strategic thinking, motivation, facilitating solutions and addressing organisational challenges.
Feldman has used his experience and innate understanding of markets and business to also take his career into the fields of writing and radio. He is the author of two successful books – Carry on Baggage and Tightrope: Musings of Circus South Africa – and is the Morning Mayhem host on ChaiFM from 6am-9am, Mondays to Fridays.
With this vast repertoire of skills and talent, Feldman is committed to providing individuals and organisations with the tools they need to thrive within a mercurial and challenging business world. His own life experience has allowed him to recognise the value of people and relationships without compromising on the energy of entrepreneurship and career growth. Feldman delivers thoughtful, humorous and insightful commentary that organisations can use to unravel complexities and unlock talent and potential. Thanks to his experience working across various markets, the legal profession and commodities markets to name a few, his skills lie in his ability to challenge, educate and engage.
For more information go to http://www.howardfeldman.co.za/
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021