David Bullard speaks frankly about this and covers some pertinent issues that need to be spoken about and rectified in order for the current state of journalism to be uplifted once again.
David Bullard in conversation with BizRadio’s Grant Jansen
Podcast | Click HERE to listen
Whether or not you think the standard of South African journalism is at an all-time low also depends on your experience of journalism. If you’ve been kicking around for a few decades, as I have, then you are likely to be less tolerant of what passes for good newspaper fodder than someone who’s only been exposed to journalism for five years. This is the problem with age and experience: we tend to think that things were better in our day and maybe we’re wrong.
There are still pockets of excellence in the media, particularly among the various investigative units and within the financial media. The problem is that it is mostly experienced journalists doing this sort of work and when one looks at the sort of stuff used to bulk out the majority of our newspapers – It is the most dreadful load of crap and I suspect that is entirely due to a lack on the job training front”. As far as I am concerned Journalism is a bogus degree and that aspirant journalists would learn far more through a working apprenticeship in a newsroom. They’d also have a lot more fun.
Join Grant Jansen (@Kapetonian) every weekday morning from 10 to noon for the Daily Biz on Biz Radio. Stay in touch with Grant at @Biz_Radio on twitter, Biz_radio on Skype and [email protected] to mail him.
- At a time of Lockdown, Online Media offers new opportunities | #eBizInsights| Ursula McDonald | Podcast - March 26, 2020
- A forced stop! Now what? | #eBizInsights | Howard Feldman - March 26, 2020
- What you need to know before buying a second hand car #Insight |#Kriben Reddy |#TransUnion | Podcast - March 24, 2020
- A guide to working from home | # eBizInsights | #eBizHealth | Devan Moonsamy - March 23, 2020
- The Marijuana economy is here| #eBizInsights | Stephen Smith and David Anderson - March 18, 2020
- Health and Finance |#eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - March 18, 2020
- A time of great disruption is upon us all – Digital audio’s time is now! |#Insight |#Nic von Stein - March 17, 2020
- COVID-19 and its potential effect on media in SA|#eBizWires | - March 17, 2020
- Rapid Data — Fast decision-making with the right data at the right time | # eBizInsights | Tom Wells - March 16, 2020
- Remote working during Covid-19 pandemic a reality with free software offer | #EbizWires - March 16, 2020