Despite the amount of jobs being available in the IT industry increasing, the talent pool for IT security is not growing…..Many of the people in the industry have been there since the sector began to take off in the late 90’s with little ”new blood” findings it way into IT security, we discuss this conundrum today with Rian vanboom of MWR infosecurity.
Further, within the local security industry, there is too great a focus on hiring senior consultants therefore many organisations neglect new talent. The expense to businesses in this regard is high as the salaries of experienced consultants continues to grow at a phenomenal rate.
As such, these consultants are often stretched to capacity and therefore not adequately equipped with the support they need to properly manage the organisation’s cyber risk.
There is also a general lack of awareness in South Africa regarding the fact that cyber security is an actual career path (rather than a mere pass time). Such factors – among others – have led to the shortage on both a global and local level.
To address this, a long, term strategic plan needs to be put in place in order to firstly educate students on the fact that a professional and rewarding career in “hacking” is possible.
Guidance regarding what they need to focus on in terms of their studies etc must be relayed to them as early on as possible.
Secondly, organisations need to incorporate and realise the importance of taking on selected graduates/juniors in possession of the right skillset and insights in order to train and develop them further, thereby assisting in generating more talent for the industry.
- How South Africa’s People and Business are adapting (or not adapting) to the evolving GIG economy | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - January 22, 2020
- Social Media Trends for 2020 |#eBizWires | - January 22, 2020
- Africa is championing the flexible workspace revolution | #eBizInsights - January 21, 2020
- SAB READIES TO WIND UP R14-BILLION B-BBEE SCHEME IN VALUE AT MATURITY - January 17, 2020
- The intelligent utility of the future | #eBizInsights | Dr. Cathy Pickering - January 14, 2020
- Employee Wellbeing going into the new decade | #eBizInsights - January 14, 2020
- From street corner to corner office|#eBizWires | Fredrick Ochieng - January 14, 2020
- Post-Matric Packing List for Life | #eBizInsights | Howard Feldman - January 14, 2020
- Welcome to the era of containers | #eBizWires? Muggie van Stadden - January 14, 2020
- #ImStaying – MORE THAN A MILLION VOICES ECHOING CHANGE ACROSS SA! #Opinion #Jarette Petzer - January 7, 2020