Despite the amount of jobs being available in the IT industry increasing, the talent pool for IT security is not growing…..Many of the people in the industry have been there since the sector began to take off in the late 90’s with little ”new blood” findings it way into IT security, we discuss this conundrum today with Rian vanboom of MWR infosecurity.
Further, within the local security industry, there is too great a focus on hiring senior consultants therefore many organisations neglect new talent. The expense to businesses in this regard is high as the salaries of experienced consultants continues to grow at a phenomenal rate.
As such, these consultants are often stretched to capacity and therefore not adequately equipped with the support they need to properly manage the organisation’s cyber risk.
There is also a general lack of awareness in South Africa regarding the fact that cyber security is an actual career path (rather than a mere pass time). Such factors – among others – have led to the shortage on both a global and local level.
To address this, a long, term strategic plan needs to be put in place in order to firstly educate students on the fact that a professional and rewarding career in “hacking” is possible.
Guidance regarding what they need to focus on in terms of their studies etc must be relayed to them as early on as possible.
Secondly, organisations need to incorporate and realise the importance of taking on selected graduates/juniors in possession of the right skillset and insights in order to train and develop them further, thereby assisting in generating more talent for the industry.
- Onboarding a vital element for employee retention | #eBizWires - August 23, 2019
- Finding the Missing Link to Yard Visibility and Control | #eBizWires - August 23, 2019
- Miracle Baby Clothing |#Mompreneur | #Vanitha Munsamy - August 21, 2019
- ROOTS 2019 research shows that appliances and electronics are major growth categories for women| #eBizWires - August 21, 2019
- CORRUPTION CAN BE BEATEN – WITH TECHNOLOGY | #eBizInisght | Devandran Naicker - August 21, 2019
- How to package, brand and sell intangible services |#Marketing |#Stefano Maruzzi - August 20, 2019
- Smart Media named Dis-Chem magazine partner #eBizWires - August 20, 2019
- Opportunities abound in SA cloud market | #eBizInsights - August 16, 2019
- More people die from diabetes in SA than from HIV, TB and malaria combined | #eBizPayItForward | Bridget McNulty - August 16, 2019
- Managing gender transition in the workplace | #eBizInsights - August 16, 2019