Despite the amount of jobs being available in the IT industry increasing, the talent pool for IT security is not growing…..Many of the people in the industry have been there since the sector began to take off in the late 90’s with little ”new blood” findings it way into IT security, we discuss this conundrum today with Rian vanboom of MWR infosecurity.
Further, within the local security industry, there is too great a focus on hiring senior consultants therefore many organisations neglect new talent. The expense to businesses in this regard is high as the salaries of experienced consultants continues to grow at a phenomenal rate.
As such, these consultants are often stretched to capacity and therefore not adequately equipped with the support they need to properly manage the organisation’s cyber risk.
There is also a general lack of awareness in South Africa regarding the fact that cyber security is an actual career path (rather than a mere pass time). Such factors – among others – have led to the shortage on both a global and local level.
To address this, a long, term strategic plan needs to be put in place in order to firstly educate students on the fact that a professional and rewarding career in “hacking” is possible.
Guidance regarding what they need to focus on in terms of their studies etc must be relayed to them as early on as possible.
Secondly, organisations need to incorporate and realise the importance of taking on selected graduates/juniors in possession of the right skillset and insights in order to train and develop them further, thereby assisting in generating more talent for the industry.
- Valuable and Purposefully Giving this Social Development Month | Pay It Forward | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Is the option to work from home inclusive and diverse? | #Insight | #Business | #HR | Devan Moonsamy | ICHAF | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Sharing more about RETT SYNDROME and how you can help! | #BusinessBrunch | Bjorn Salsone | #PayItForward | Rett-SA | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Equality, diversity and inclusion – starts with YOU | #Insights | #Diversity | Pabi Mogosetsi | Universum Global | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Cyber Security Awareness Month Is a Good Time to Review Your Payroll Provider | #Insights | Sandra Crous | PaySpace | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Motoring News of the Week | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 25, 2021
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021