Few businesses have made sustainability a core part of their strategy, some are doing the minimum for compliance sake, the majority are on a carry on a “business as usual” path without stopping to question their negative impacts on society or the environment, let alone looking at the full life cycle of their brands.
While we are seeing certain countries displaying improved political leadership the African continent is still characterised by self serving leaders, political instability, corruption and social and environmental sustainability not very high up on the majority of Africans national agenda, despite all of this, Africa is becoming the darling of emerging market, investors and growth rates in Africa are above 5 %.
Not only is Africa attracting investors looking for good yields, but an increasing number of global, multi-national companies are seeing Africa as their growth ticket both in terms of supply of, and demand for their products many South African companies know they have to move north of their borders to maintain their growth trajectory, with many Asian, especially Chinese companies moving in an aggressive way with not much political governance or legislation and little consequences to perpetrators for environmental and social exploitation.
So we have to ask – will these multinational companies do the right thing and tread lightly on Africa while it consumes its resources above and below the ground?
A tough subject to tackle, but one that the panel of Dawn Rowlands – CEO Aegis Media; Deon Robbertze – Founder – Change Agent; Mike Freedman – Partner – Freed Thinkers and Chris Loker – Founder – Water Financial and moderator Kevin James – Founder – Global Carbon Exchange were eager to engage on at the 11th Aegis Media Thought Leadership Digibate, which took place in Cape Town on 7th November 2013.
If we are to Future Proof Africa, we need a sustainability Revolution. What role does communication play in this?
PODCAST ONE | Click HERE to listen
Duration: 16:28 | Size: 23.7 MB | Format: MP3
What are some of these unexpected consequences and what are the risks to companies either embracing transparency and authenticity as a communication strategy or ignoring it at their own peril?
PODCAST TWO | Click HERE to listen
Duration: 17:51 | Size: 25.7 MB | Format: MP3
Do we actually need a new word for sustainability? Should that word be Future Proof?
PODCAST THREE | Click HERE to listen
Duration: 14:04 | Size: 20.3 MB | Format: MP3
What role can African businesses play to Future Proof Africa and ensure Africa can deliver Enough, For All, Forever.
PODCAST FOUR | Click HERE to listen
Duration: 08:02 | Size: 11.6 MB | Format: MP3
Is business keeping up with this shift in consciousness and are they doing enough to educate and communicate sustainability to an aspirational and demanding Africa?
PODCAST FIVE | Click HERE to listen
Duration: 09:20 | Size: 14.5 MB | Format: MP3
Is the marketing and advertising sector guilty of not future-proofing their own or their clients businesses by not seeing the major marketing opportunities of embracing true sustainability? What should advertising agencies be doing to change this?
PODCAST SIX | Click HERE to listen
Duration: 08:51 | Size: 12.7 MB | Format: MP3
“People have begun to realize that we are all part of the problem, but also part of the solution, and due to apathy, most governments are not accountable on this issue especially in Africa.”
“The main avenue for change will be from business and consumers working together to change the mind-set that exists in today’s society.”
“Consumers are not fools, they will very quickly work out if your communications is bullshit’’
Dawn Rowlands | Group CEO Aegis Media SSA
“Africa needs to follow its own model, because the continent is only now enjoying sustained high economic growth, many initiatives or mind-sets that are established now will carry on for years to come.”
“Create instead of sustain”
“We are disassociated from many industries we profit from and it’s up to us as communicators to get the message across. You have got to give people the facts.”
Mike Freedman | Partner – Freed Thinkers
“Lay the groundwork’s for the future today! Do we want a future for the continent similar to the pollution clogged cities of Asia and the first world or one where biodiversity is still maintained, with all the economic and cultural benefits that come about from living in a healthy environment.”
“Only 28% of people know what the term sustainable means”
Deon Roberttze | Founder – Change Agent
“We all need a change in personal accountability – if governments and companies know that the environment/how we exploit the environment is a top priority issue, then they will respond due to purchasing power or the need to have your vote at the next election.”
“Change the flow of money and your will change the sustainable issue in Africa.”
Chris Loker | Founder – Water Financial
BizRadio and Aegis Media SSA would like to extend a special thank you to Kevin James for moderating the 11th Aegis Media Thought Leadership Digibate on ‘How can business change the sustainability conversation to Future Proof Africa’
Kevin James | Founder – Global Carbon Exchange
- Valuable and Purposefully Giving this Social Development Month | Pay It Forward | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Is the option to work from home inclusive and diverse? | #Insight | #Business | #HR | Devan Moonsamy | ICHAF | #ebizradio - October 27, 2021
- Sharing more about RETT SYNDROME and how you can help! | #BusinessBrunch | Bjorn Salsone | #PayItForward | Rett-SA | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Equality, diversity and inclusion – starts with YOU | #Insights | #Diversity | Pabi Mogosetsi | Universum Global | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Cyber Security Awareness Month Is a Good Time to Review Your Payroll Provider | #Insights | Sandra Crous | PaySpace | #ebizradio - October 26, 2021
- Motoring News of the Week | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 25, 2021
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021