Africa is a continent experiencing explosive growth in mobile penetration and usage, driven by the decreasing cost of smartphones / tablets and data. This has driven rapid increases in mobile video consumption. Tuluntulu has become one of the largest providers of video / mobile content on the African continent, servicing this fast-growing market.
Tuluntulu’s mobile content platform targets audiences in Africa and globally with African-focused content. The application and its underlying technology platform have the following differentiators and attributes:
- The app is free to download, and free to use i.e. no subscription fee, facilitating maximum demographic reach. Data costs are incurred when connected via mobile networks.
- User has the option of choosing high or mid-quality viewing (which lowers data costs).
- Mid-quality video is data-light (+/-50MB/hour, as low as R1.50 /hour) – this is at a lower cost than all comparable video services.
- There is a wide bouquet of content choice across multiple genres (33 x TV channels and 28 x Radio streams).
- Content is available over WiFi or all mobile operator networks.
- Tuluntulu is available free on all major app stores for Android or iOS.
- Well established in all major African countries, including large audiences in SA, Nigeria, Kenya, Tanzania and Ghana.
- Unique scalable cloud-based technology and multi-compression delivery streams.
- Full customer database with real-time analytics (+-200,000 registrations).
- Full interactive transactional capability using return path.
- Onscreen Twitter-feed interaction with and between individual viewers.
- Multiple revenue-sharing and co-branding models with content partners.
- Customer messaging via in-app and out-of-app notifications.
- ‘TV remote’ style UI, with user-favourites, most popular and expanded genre presentation.
- Multiple advertising options – banner, pre-roll, post-roll, geo-blocked, branded, sponsorship etc.
- Streaming system is built on a Video-on-demand foundation, allowing for future VOD options.Tuluntulu’s multi-language streaming content includes English, French, German, Hausa, Portuguese, Arabic and Kiswahili. The app has been downloaded over 475,000 times in 154 countries. The most popular territories are South Africa (26%), Nigeria (26%), Ghana (14%), Tanzania (13%) and Kenya (11%).
The cumulative usage numbers since launch (August 2014) are as follows:
Over 15,9 million screen views
Over 3,2 million sessions
Over 475,000 active users / app installs
Over 85% returning users
The platform currently has 33 x 24/7 streaming TV channels:
General Entertainment (Africa365).
News (tNews4U, Al Jazeera, Deutsche Welle – English, Deutsche Welle – Arabic, Deutsche Welle – German, France24 – English, France24 – Arabic).
Education (SABC Education, BrainBoosters, Spark4U, VTC).
Sport (AfricaSport4U, WildTVAfrica).
Children (SABC Children).
Public information (BetterLife4U, Health4U).
Tuluntulu has received a number of awards including a Frost & Sullivan Customer Value Leadership Award VOD 2015, a number of Technology Top 100 awards in (2015 & 2016), Best African App AppsAfrica award 2015, and an MTN App of the Year Finalist award 2015. In addition, Tuluntulu was selected by Unilever Foundry 50 as one of the top 50 startups in the world in 2015, and by Interbrand (global) / Facebook as a global ‘Breakthrough Brand’ in 2016.
- The Saturday Night Show – Tales from my stethoscope | Bruna Dessena |#AdvancedLifeSupportParamedic |#Podcst |#PayItForward - January 21, 2021
- Oops….you exposed yourself! What’s up with What’s App? |#LTM | Craig Page-Lee |#Marketing | Podcast |#ebizradio - January 21, 2021
- Why you need to be agile in 2021 |#LTC |#Coaching |Meenakshi Iyer | Northstar at Work |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- The art of virtual B2B selling in 2021 | #TalkDigitalZA |#AudreyNaidoo |#ShelleyWalters | The Sales Counsel |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021
- Love your problems |#LTL |#Leadership | Dawn Rowlands |#Dentsu |#KevinBritz |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 18, 2021
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021