‘Look after your employees and they’ll look after your business.’ This is according to Andy Reid, 53, founder and owner of Vespa SA, who’ll be among the speakers at the upcoming SA Business Excellence Forum.
In Reid’s view, it’s up to employers to consistently show their commitment to employees and to support them on an ongoing basis. Without this, says Reid, business owners run the risk of disempowered and disengaged employees.
Reid is also a firm believer in harnessing ‘dormant talent’ within an organisation.
“Dormant talent is someone who is young, willing and able,” he explains. “Young, in this sense, refers to a person’s mindset – they must be able to absorb new information, techniques and have the ability to adapt to change easily.”
Reid notes that dormant talent can be identified by recognising clear characteristics and attributes. These are:
- Willingness to make sacrifices, to put in the time and go the extra mile
- Must never be a victim
- Must have the natural ability to do it now and do it properly
“Ultimately, employees (new and established) need constant support and guidance,” he adds. “Be a coach – single out employees and motivate, encourage and mentor each of them as individuals.”
To learn more about harnessing your company’s talent and to hear other industry experts present on the various aspects of running a successful business, book your ticket to attend the Business Excellence Forum & Awards in November 2015. Visit www.thebusinessexcellenceforums.com for more information or call 012 665 1015.
- Covid-19 lockdown spurs massive spike in new business account registrations online | #eBizInisghts| Jonathon Smit of Payfast |Podcast - May 29, 2020
- Insights on Data: Podcast 4 Data Literacy and Skills | #eBizInsights| Jayson O’Reilly|Podcast - May 27, 2020
- We’re facing a new way of connecting with consumers| #eBizInsights | Victor Koaho - May 27, 2020
- Types of Covid-19 tests explained| #eBizInsights | Gerald Naidoo - May 27, 2020
- The Marketing Research Foundation updates the industry| #eBizWires - May 27, 2020
- How do we get through this trauma? |#Lifestyle |#Monique Strydom| Podcast - May 22, 2020
- How to handle the unexpected news of retrenchment |#Insight |#Devan Moonsammy - May 19, 2020
- THERE IS NO RISK IN BEING DIFFERENT WHEN NOTHING IS THE SAME| #eBizInsights | Ursula McDonald & Pippa Capstick | Podcast - May 18, 2020
- Insights on Data Podcast 3: Data Analysis | #eBizInsights |Quinton Senekal - May 18, 2020
- Remote working during Lockdown | #eBizTechnology | Arthur Goldstuck | Podcast - May 11, 2020