‘Look after your employees and they’ll look after your business.’ This is according to Andy Reid, 53, founder and owner of Vespa SA, who’ll be among the speakers at the upcoming SA Business Excellence Forum.
In Reid’s view, it’s up to employers to consistently show their commitment to employees and to support them on an ongoing basis. Without this, says Reid, business owners run the risk of disempowered and disengaged employees.
Reid is also a firm believer in harnessing ‘dormant talent’ within an organisation.
“Dormant talent is someone who is young, willing and able,” he explains. “Young, in this sense, refers to a person’s mindset – they must be able to absorb new information, techniques and have the ability to adapt to change easily.”
Reid notes that dormant talent can be identified by recognising clear characteristics and attributes. These are:
- Willingness to make sacrifices, to put in the time and go the extra mile
- Must never be a victim
- Must have the natural ability to do it now and do it properly
“Ultimately, employees (new and established) need constant support and guidance,” he adds. “Be a coach – single out employees and motivate, encourage and mentor each of them as individuals.”
To learn more about harnessing your company’s talent and to hear other industry experts present on the various aspects of running a successful business, book your ticket to attend the Business Excellence Forum & Awards in November 2015. Visit www.thebusinessexcellenceforums.com for more information or call 012 665 1015.
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Its a bad day, not a bad life – Building your brand |#LTM |#BjornSalsone |# Sunil Osman |#Marketing |#Podcast - October 15, 2020
- Lockdown points to a new way to grow local economies | #eBizInsights - October 14, 2020
- The Outdoor Measurement Council (OMC) releases latest ROAD data | #eBizWires - October 14, 2020
- Getting ready for REMOTE SELLING | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#B2B| #Podcast - October 14, 2020