In the Post 9/11 world a number of factors have combined to create a problem most of us never expected: Information (and civil liberties) have been curtailed in efforts to hinder attacks from terrorists of varying stripes.
One such means of surveillance was developed by NSA (National Security Agency) of the USA. The software exploited a weakness in Microsoft XP operating software and allowed the Agency to track and monitor individuals and equipment.
Something then went terribly wrong; it is not known how, but part of that software ended up on the dark-net, where it was hastily re-engineered by hackers and then sent out to attacks networks the world over.
The resulting chaos affected almost every country on the planet, notable victims included Spanish Telecoms, Google and the NHS (National Health Service) of the UK.
Many users reported having to pay hefty ransoms to get back access to their pc’s, the payments were forced to be in the cryptocurrency BitCoin.
For this Podcast, Sebastian Stroebel and Mustafa Al-Bassam from DRS joins us to discuss hacking, hacking culture post 9/11 as well as the Ransomware WannaCry.
- Private equity fund takes the lead at transformative 4IR start-ups | #eBizEntrepreneur | Brett Dawson | Podcast - February 18, 2020
- Streaming content in 2020; the RSA context | #eBizInsights | Richard Lord | Podcast - February 14, 2020
- Search Engines prioritise user experiences in 2020 | #eBizInsights | Marcus Matsi - February 13, 2020
- Hive Digital Media’s Spectrum Roadshow| #eBizWires - February 13, 2020
- 2020 : The most important SONA since 1994 | #ebizradio #Opinion | Mike Abel - February 13, 2020
- Smoking in the Workplace: 21st Century edition | #eBizInisghts | Nicol Myburgh | Podcast - February 12, 2020
- iOCO achieves AWS End User Computing Competency status | #eBizInsights | Podcast | Richard Vester - February 6, 2020
- New examples of Customer-experience innovation with Dentsu Aegis| #eBizWires - February 6, 2020
- How Blockchain Technology Can Change Financial Management In Africa | #eBizInsights - February 6, 2020
- Spectrum: South Africa’s own innovative local video streaming platform | #eBizWires - February 5, 2020