BizRadio caught up with Rob Stanbridge and Andre Wilkinson from iProspect (@
Podcast: click HERE to listen
Playing the Search game in Rugby.
South Africa is known to be rugby mad with many a winter weekend taken up behind the television screen or in an icy stadium. Historically rugby fans relied on the sports pages, feature articles and programmes at the events for their information on the game. Nowadays they – as they do when researching any brand – rely on the Internet for their source of reference.
iProspect analysed keyword search volumes for the South African Super 15 Rugby franchises as well as search volumes for individual players, with the following results:
- The Bulls related: 48,000 searches per month.
- The Stormers related: 20,000 searches per month.
- There are more searches for the Bulls than the Stormers. Interestingly, there were also more searches for The Bulls than the Stormers originating in the Western Cape.
- The Cheetahs are least searched for team in SA local searches
Individual Player Searches:
- Searches for individual players spiked in September and Oct 2011 – just before the Rugby World Cup.
- In October 2011 Josh Strauss was the highest searched player, followed by Pierre Spies.
- Looking at recent Springbok squad announced – top searched for players:
- Pierre Spies
- Bryan Habana and Francois Hougaard
- Pat Lambie and Josh Strauss
- Schalk Burger
- Most searched for “non Bok” was Gio Aplon
Rugby venue keyword searches:
iProspect also looked at keywords relating to the attendance of games at various stadiums. Obviously there is a spike in searches at every home game across the different stadiums for local teams.
The important point here is that there is a clear increase in search volumes as the date of the game approaches. This is not only true for rugby games. The same pattern of interest has been seen across other major events, such as major concerts. Often the combined search volumes in the 2 month lead time up to the event are the same or even more as the month of the event. Event organisers or any business related to an event must consider promoting themselves within search results when people are searching for keywords relating to that event.
Why is this of interest?
Brand custodians looking to choose which sportsmen or women or celebrities would best fit their target market could look at search volumes to determine who would be best suited to promote their products. They should capitalise on the fact that people search for their sports icons on search engines so need to ensure they are present within the search results. These tactical efforts could be managed through paid search marketing (where one bids on selected keywords).
We see a huge spike in individual player searches, across sports disciplines, around team announcements. Brands aligned to sports teams typically will do traditional activations and use main stream media around these announcements events but also need to consider digital and specifically ensuring they are present within search results.
Additionally, as marketers it is important to know that there is a large opportunity to capitalise on search volumes by getting events listed in search results a few months in advance.
Customer focused. Global. Technology solutions. Results. Add the words “passionate employees” and you’ll start to gain an understanding of who we really are. In business terms, iProspect is the global digital performance agency with a proven track record of driving measurable business results by creating customized digital marketing programs. www.iprospect.co.za
Join Chris Kolbe every weekday morning from 9 to 11am for the Daily Biz on Biz Radio. Stay in touch with Chris at @Biz_Radio on twitter, Biz_radio on Skype, studio BBM 279DF0DD and [email protected] to mail him.
- Made in… purpose| #eBizWires - August 3, 2020
- Women lead differently – find your own voice |#Lunchtime Series |#Leadership #Kevin Britz |#Naomi Basson |Podcast - August 3, 2020
- The reason behind Caxton local newspapers free subscription model| #eBizWires - August 3, 2020
- Why invest in Marketing and how it can improve profits |#Lunchtime Series |#Business |#Kevin Britz |#Pieter Gruenbaum| Video - July 31, 2020
- 24-7-30 and what sex has to do anything|#Lunchtime Series |#Kevin Britz |#Bjorn Salsone |#Marketing |#Podcast - July 30, 2020
- Your unconscious bias influences your leadership |#Coaching |#LunchtimeSeries |#Kevin Britz |#Robert Pearse| Video - July 29, 2020
- Secondary Trauma during tough times |#The Lunchtime Show | #Mental wellness |# Kevin Britz| Video - July 28, 2020
- I know a guy! |#Digital |#Mbali Ndhlovu |#Podcast - July 28, 2020
- The Lunchtime Show |#Leadership |#Kevin Britz |#Naomi Basson |#Podcast - July 27, 2020
- Insights on Data 10: How Data is driving new Revolutions | #eBizInsights | Enlin Neveling | Podcast - July 22, 2020