Actor, raconteur, script writer for the stage, educational script writer for industrial theatre, voice-over artist, laughter yoga teacher, father Xmas, father, David will cover your theatrical needs and is available to travel around the world having already performed in Bahrain, Dubai, Morocco, Cameroon, USA, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Robben Island and his beloved homeland, South Africa. Currently taking his single-hander, Oom Schalk from the Heart around Southern Africa, he has numerous shows available at the drop of a few days’ rehearsals. He is also working on dramatizing a story recently written by a fellow from Johannesburg, watch this space. David is even willing to teach teenagers how to tell stories.
Below is David’s Biography:
Retrenched from Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre in Durban where he worked as an actor, David wrote 300 letters to 300 primary schools claiming he would dramatize any book, for a small fee of course, with their school children. He got three replies: one said no thanks, the other maybe, the third said yes. Calling himself the Merry Scholar, David began visiting schools giving drama workshops around these books. The rest is history? Well almost.
Returning to his home town in Cape Town he added Maynardville and Shakespeare to his repertoire, as well as the odd television series like Dirk De Villiers’ Arende II and III, movies like Ernest Goes To The Army with Jim Varney, Tropical Heat, Philanthropist, Laugh Out Loud, Madam & Eve, Backstage and Jab. But theatre especially theatre-in-education is what kept him sane.
He was also seen in Gogol’s Diary of a Madman both in Cape Town, Durbs and at the Black Sun in Hillbrow, Johannesburg. It didn’t take long before, alternate-educational institutions such as the Two Oceans Aquarium and MTN ScienCentre gobbled him up and he was dunked in researching, writing, directing and acting in shows like Seymour, the Seal; iKlips!; Ta ta ma Genes, Travelling Tales of Ibn Battuta and Imagining Einstein. He also became a laughter yoga teacher, certified mind; found a partner produced two wonderful children settled in Muizenberg and continued entertaining audiences far and wide.
- Adapting Conservation into a Economic Activity | #eBizTrends | Dion Chang - September 20, 2019
- Cry our beloved SMEs | #eBizWires | Lukhanyo Bushwana - September 20, 2019
- Obsidian Systems’ end-to-end coverage of Open Source Week 2019 - September 20, 2019
- Financial Institutions – Be Better | #eBizWires - September 20, 2019
- How to Register your own SA Company for under R300! #Insight |#IP Braai - September 19, 2019
- Being a Finance Director in your 30’s | #eBizInsight| Emilie Bigot - September 19, 2019
- Gill Randall on Local Newspapers | #eBizInsights - September 17, 2019
- The Truth About Xenophobia in South Africa |#Insights |#Devan Moonsamy - September 16, 2019
- FLEXIBLE WORKSPACE IS THE NEW FRANCHISE FRONTIER | #eBizInsights - September 16, 2019
- How the office will change by 2025 in Africa? |#eBizInsights - September 13, 2019