Actor, raconteur, script writer for the stage, educational script writer for industrial theatre, voice-over artist, laughter yoga teacher, father Xmas, father, David will cover your theatrical needs and is available to travel around the world having already performed in Bahrain, Dubai, Morocco, Cameroon, USA, Namibia, Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Robben Island and his beloved homeland, South Africa. Currently taking his single-hander, Oom Schalk from the Heart around Southern Africa, he has numerous shows available at the drop of a few days’ rehearsals. He is also working on dramatizing a story recently written by a fellow from Johannesburg, watch this space. David is even willing to teach teenagers how to tell stories.
Below is David’s Biography:
Retrenched from Elizabeth Sneddon Theatre in Durban where he worked as an actor, David wrote 300 letters to 300 primary schools claiming he would dramatize any book, for a small fee of course, with their school children. He got three replies: one said no thanks, the other maybe, the third said yes. Calling himself the Merry Scholar, David began visiting schools giving drama workshops around these books. The rest is history? Well almost.
Returning to his home town in Cape Town he added Maynardville and Shakespeare to his repertoire, as well as the odd television series like Dirk De Villiers’ Arende II and III, movies like Ernest Goes To The Army with Jim Varney, Tropical Heat, Philanthropist, Laugh Out Loud, Madam & Eve, Backstage and Jab. But theatre especially theatre-in-education is what kept him sane.
He was also seen in Gogol’s Diary of a Madman both in Cape Town, Durbs and at the Black Sun in Hillbrow, Johannesburg. It didn’t take long before, alternate-educational institutions such as the Two Oceans Aquarium and MTN ScienCentre gobbled him up and he was dunked in researching, writing, directing and acting in shows like Seymour, the Seal; iKlips!; Ta ta ma Genes, Travelling Tales of Ibn Battuta and Imagining Einstein. He also became a laughter yoga teacher, certified mind; found a partner produced two wonderful children settled in Muizenberg and continued entertaining audiences far and wide.
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Unpacking Data Skills and Literacy from a RSA context | #eBizInsights| Alan Browning of Atvance Intellect |Podcast - October 19, 2020
- The African Hotel Industry; Pre and Post Covid | #eBizInsights| Brett Hoppe |Podcast - October 16, 2020
- Do we stop and ask WHY? |#LTS |#CandidConversations |#KevinBritz | Lauren Britz |#Podcast - October 16, 2020