Just because someone says you’ve won a small fortune, or inherited it, doesn’t mean it’s legitimate, writes Sarel Lamprecht, MD of Phishield, a provider of cyber insurance.
Have you been offered a part-time job via email, or had someone want to confirm an order and ask for you to click on a link? Or perhaps someone has told you that you’re an heir to a small fortune, or they have a business deal they want your help with or even – for the greedy – they need your help to smuggle mega bucks out of some or other war torn country.
Some of these emails are laughable and obviously scams, but many look like the real deal. The only reason they keep coming is because people keep clicking.
If the scammers only have a 1% success rate, that’s enough to keep them sending.
So here are a few tips and tricks, and red flags to keep yourself protected
- Is the mail from someone you really don’t know?
- Is there a link in the mail, which is .html?
- Does the link direct you to a page that requires you to enter all your details, including email address and password?
- When you check the sender of the mail, did it come from some sort of a mailing list, or even your own email?
- Did the mail purport to be personal, but your address is in the blind carbon copy (BCC) line?
- Does the mail pretend to be from your bank, but when you mouse over the link it’s nothing at all like the address you usually type in?
Here’s what’s happening:
Some scammer is trying to con you into handing over your log ins to a secure site, such as your bank’s – because we can’t all remember a gazzilion passwords, right? Or, the scammer could be trying to social engineer you – a process whereby they gain enough information on you to friend you on Facebook, which allows them to gather more information.
Do you have any idea how much can be found out once you have a name, surname and address? It’s scary how much information we have out there about ourselves.
So, how do you protect yourself? Some aspects are obvious, such as, if you haven’t filed a tax return, then you aren’t getting a refund. But, since most of us hope for that windfall, we may be tempted.
Here’s what to do:
- Don’t click the link, type in the address you always use;
- Keep your antivirus software up to date;
- If you are in the BCC line and not the TO line, it’s a scam that has gone to many, many others;
- If the link is .html and the body of the email indicates it’s a document, or PDF, don’t click – html is web script; and the scammers want your details.
- Check the links they want you to click on – does it end in something unusual like .cz or .co? Don’t even think about it.
- Don’t know the sender? Perhaps have IT have a look first.
- Protect yourself with cyber insurance in case of the worst case scenario
Behing the scenes – Phishield is the world’s first cyber and phishing insurance. Phishield provides cover against fraudulent online purchases, card fraud, phishing scams, as well as fraudulent EFT funds transfers and in-app purchases.
Phishield was established by a group of entrepreneurs from various backgrounds, industries and disciplines, forming global partnerships with security and insurance companies to provide consumers with an affordable cover against loss of funds suffered through cyber and transactional theft.
- The Saturday Night Show – Tales from my stethoscope | Bruna Dessena |#AdvancedLifeSupportParamedic |#Podcst |#PayItForward - January 21, 2021
- Oops….you exposed yourself! What’s up with What’s App? |#LTM | Craig Page-Lee |#Marketing | Podcast |#ebizradio - January 21, 2021
- Why you need to be agile in 2021 |#LTC |#Coaching |Meenakshi Iyer | Northstar at Work |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- The art of virtual B2B selling in 2021 | #TalkDigitalZA |#AudreyNaidoo |#ShelleyWalters | The Sales Counsel |#Podcast | #ebizradio - January 20, 2021
- What is SELF EFFICACY? |#LTC |#kevinbritz |#Coaching | Liezl Mari Reid |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 19, 2021
- The thinking behind the launch of print weekly DM168 |Mike Stopforth |#OneEyedManPodcast |Styli Charalambous | Daily Maverick |#ebizradio - January 18, 2021
- Love your problems |#LTL |#Leadership | Dawn Rowlands |#Dentsu |#KevinBritz |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 18, 2021
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021