It’s quite common that many of us (myself included) have certain perceptions of ‘white’ magazines and ‘black’ radio stations. It’s quite natural for us to have certain misconceptions about race profiles of media as, when many marketers started out in the game, the world was a very different place to today.
It also doesn’t help that many magazines, which are read by a full spectrum of society, still feature mostly white faces on the cover each month.
These stats show a big difference between the perception of most marketers and the reality. There is still much work to go, but it’s in the right direction. This data really does go to show that the filter of ‘race’ in media is close to becoming irrelevant.
Some key stats:
You: 55% Black, 20% White
Men’s Health: 64% Black, 17% White
Car Magazine: 50% Black, 25% White
Cosmo: 57% Black, 19% White 5FM: 57% Black, 27% White
CapeTalk: 50% Black, 26% Coloured, 21% White
Jacaranda: 44% Black, 50% White
Highveld 94.7: 40% Black, 42% White
CINEMA & TV
Cinema: 57% Black, 20% White
DSTV Premium: 35% Black, 43% White
DSTV Compact: 85% Black, 5% White
SABC3 (Includes Espresso): 79% Black, 8% White
The Argus/Cape Times: 40% Black, 37% Coloured ,20% White
Sunday Times: 74% Black, 12% White
Business Day: 61% Black, 27% White
All stats are from completely independent sources – AMPS 2015, Roots 2013, and TGI (they all tell the same story).
- The marketing story behind The Good Things Guy |#KevinBritz |#Brent Lindeque |#BjornSalsone |#Marketing | #Podcast |#ebizradio - October 22, 2020
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by ONLINE SELLING? | Shelley Walters |#Sales |#Podcast - October 21, 2020
- Reverse Engineering Agency FTE Models |#LetsTalkDigital | #AudreyNaidoo |#Podcast | Shaneel Singh | MediaCom | Julian Mountain | GroupM - October 21, 2020
- COVID, a key catalyst for collective philanthropy |#PayItForward |#IPASA - October 20, 2020
- Do you have the mental endurance to do this thing called life and business |#LTC | #KevinBritz | Cobus Visser |#Coaching |#Podcast |#ebizradio - October 20, 2020
- Syncrony’s GreenLine adds trust to the bottom line | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS: COMPLACENCY IS SOUTH AFRICA’S BIGGEST CHALLENGE | #eBizWires - October 20, 2020
- Parenting digitally connected children |#OneEyedMan |#MikeStopforth | Dean McCoubrey |#digital |#ebizradio - October 19, 2020
- From a truck helper to the head of Sales |#LTL |#KevinBritz | Naomi Basson | Romeo Langenhoven | #Leadership | Coca Cola South Africa |#Podcast - October 19, 2020
- Hussling on the side: How Moonlighting became the new normal | #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - October 19, 2020