It’s quite common that many of us (myself included) have certain perceptions of ‘white’ magazines and ‘black’ radio stations. It’s quite natural for us to have certain misconceptions about race profiles of media as, when many marketers started out in the game, the world was a very different place to today.
It also doesn’t help that many magazines, which are read by a full spectrum of society, still feature mostly white faces on the cover each month.
These stats show a big difference between the perception of most marketers and the reality. There is still much work to go, but it’s in the right direction. This data really does go to show that the filter of ‘race’ in media is close to becoming irrelevant.
Some key stats:
You: 55% Black, 20% White
Men’s Health: 64% Black, 17% White
Car Magazine: 50% Black, 25% White
Cosmo: 57% Black, 19% White 5FM: 57% Black, 27% White
CapeTalk: 50% Black, 26% Coloured, 21% White
Jacaranda: 44% Black, 50% White
Highveld 94.7: 40% Black, 42% White
CINEMA & TV
Cinema: 57% Black, 20% White
DSTV Premium: 35% Black, 43% White
DSTV Compact: 85% Black, 5% White
SABC3 (Includes Espresso): 79% Black, 8% White
The Argus/Cape Times: 40% Black, 37% Coloured ,20% White
Sunday Times: 74% Black, 12% White
Business Day: 61% Black, 27% White
All stats are from completely independent sources – AMPS 2015, Roots 2013, and TGI (they all tell the same story).
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #4 Meso Farming Industries| #eBizEntrepreneur |Katlego Meso - November 19, 2019
- Welcome to a new customer experience world | #eBizInsights | Paul McIntyre - November 19, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #3 TC Woman in Action Farming| #eBizEntrepreneur |Rinae Tshikangavhadzi - November 19, 2019
- Ransomware in 2019| #eBizInsights - November 19, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #2 TechFarma| #eBizEntrepreneur |Khutso Njenga - November 18, 2019
- Ready, steady, grow with new jobs in new industries, BPESA an Introduction | #eBizInsights | Andy Searle - November 18, 2019
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution: It’s the end of the world as we know it! Or is it? | #eBizInsights |Claire Herman - November 18, 2019
- Sexual harassment – A workplace problem not going away | #eBizWires | - November 18, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #1 VT Harvest| #eBizEntrepreneur |Vutlhari Chauke - November 15, 2019
- Your Health and Money: A wealth of options| #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - November 14, 2019