It’s quite common that many of us (myself included) have certain perceptions of ‘white’ magazines and ‘black’ radio stations. It’s quite natural for us to have certain misconceptions about race profiles of media as, when many marketers started out in the game, the world was a very different place to today.
It also doesn’t help that many magazines, which are read by a full spectrum of society, still feature mostly white faces on the cover each month.
These stats show a big difference between the perception of most marketers and the reality. There is still much work to go, but it’s in the right direction. This data really does go to show that the filter of ‘race’ in media is close to becoming irrelevant.
Some key stats:
You: 55% Black, 20% White
Men’s Health: 64% Black, 17% White
Car Magazine: 50% Black, 25% White
Cosmo: 57% Black, 19% White 5FM: 57% Black, 27% White
CapeTalk: 50% Black, 26% Coloured, 21% White
Jacaranda: 44% Black, 50% White
Highveld 94.7: 40% Black, 42% White
CINEMA & TV
Cinema: 57% Black, 20% White
DSTV Premium: 35% Black, 43% White
DSTV Compact: 85% Black, 5% White
SABC3 (Includes Espresso): 79% Black, 8% White
The Argus/Cape Times: 40% Black, 37% Coloured ,20% White
Sunday Times: 74% Black, 12% White
Business Day: 61% Black, 27% White
All stats are from completely independent sources – AMPS 2015, Roots 2013, and TGI (they all tell the same story).
- Insights on Data 8: Actionable Intelligence and how it’s the core of Data today|#eBizInsights | Sean Raubenheimer of Atvance Intellect| Podcast - July 9, 2020
- How to make your brand stand out in a pandemic |#Opinion |#Podcast|#Redzone Channel - July 7, 2020
- Synthesis ‘taps’ into the future of payments | #eBizWires - July 6, 2020
- Pockets of opportunity can always be found in adversity | #eBizWires | Neo Mtshatsheni - July 6, 2020
- Insights on Data 7: POPI gets implemented; now to help Business comply | #eBizInsights | Jayson O’Reilly of Atvance Intellect| Podcast - July 1, 2020
- Covid-19 killed traditional disaster recovery | #eBizInsights - July 1, 2020
- NGO’s during the Pandemic; Hope at the Darkest of times| #eBizPayItForward|Nomthi Mnisi | Podcast - June 30, 2020
- The ‘new normal’ way to operate your business | #eBizWires - June 29, 2020
- The business of sports broadcasting – live sport is back! | #eBizWires| Andile Qokweni - June 27, 2020
- Digitalising customer engagement vital for retail insurance growth | #eBizInsights - June 27, 2020