#BizOpinion by: Ingrid von Stein
We all want people to talk about us. We all want people to say how great we are. We all get upset if we hear that someone has said something negative about us. Yes, we are all beings that operate from a place of ego. Just step back for a moment and evaluate. Why do we want people to talk about us? We want this because we then feel that we are noticed. But the question is – do you want to be noticed or do you want to be interacted with?
This is the basis of any solid communications platform. Firstly establish what you want and then work in tandem with the rest of your circle to start the conversation.
The way in which we do business today has changed dramatically and I often feel that communiations professionals have not adapted fast enough to embrace these changes. Many still operate on the following premise;
Meet the client; get the client to sign a retainer agreement; draw up a communications plan; set up monthly deliverables; meet the client once a month to give our feedback report; write press releases; send to media; hope media publish it; clip the coverage and give it a rand value and at the end of the month present this to the client in a file and in your mind you have delivered. But this is no longer the way I feel we should be doing business.
The communications platforms are now so varied – a few years ago you had print and broadcast and that covered newspapers, magazines, TV and radio. But now we have terestial radio, digital radio, online radio, live audio-streaming platforms, social media via PC and mobile, niche industry online audio and video streaming; emagazines; instant messenger chat, to name a few.
So where do we start and how do we get our clients out there? In many instances the role of strategic communications is an after-thought, many clients will have their marketing and sales teams already working on campaigns/business goals, but they are just not showing the sales results that were expected and this is often the time that the communications person is brought in and the request is to “get us out there and noticed”, and alas in many instances the clients belief is that this will translate into sales, but strategic communications is not about making sales – the role of communications is to create conversations around your brand that is circulated in your key market sectors and gets people talking about your brand, which leads to a brand engagement and which leads to people interacting directly with you brand, which is then the perfect opportunity for your sales team to harness that engagement and encourage and convert this to a sale.
The role of a communications specialists today has changed, and the days of being the last one called into the marketing/sales planning is a thing of the past. Today, the communications specialist needs to sit at the table right from the outset of the concept conversation and work with the entire team to establish, firstly what the buiness goals are, and from there what the key “conversation capital” is, and work from this point to create and stimulate conversation in the key communities where you know your best chance of conversion from conversation to interaction is going to come from.
Ingrid Von Stein has a background in journalism and is an award-winning communications and marketing specialist. A business entrepreneur, she created Zebra Communications and NGO Marketing, respected for its exceptional contribution to the positioning of not-for-profit organizations in the market place. She brings her life-long love for radio which began with a childhood career on Springbok Radio, the precursor to SAFM, to the business development of pioneering on-line digital radio in South Africa.
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How is AI going to affect both Business and the Advertising landscapes? | #Marketing | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021
- How do youth actually consume content? | #Entrepreneur | #WordOfMouth | Lindi Tshabangu | Khathutshelo Bapela | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Since SA has have moved to level 1 lock-down, what effect is this having on the markets? | #Insights | #Trading | Zihad Israel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 14, 2021
- Behind the scenes with a Theater Producer | #BusinessBrunch | #Insight | Björn Salsone | Bernard Jay | #Pantomime | #Podcast #ebizradio - October 12, 2021
- Now is the time to make money in this market | #Insight | #Money | Daniel Kibel | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 11, 2021
- How Trade Specialisation might make you a rich Forex trader | #Insights | Finance | Tope Ijibadejo | CMTrading | #ebizradio - October 8, 2021
- Who are and why are these South Africa’s brands ranked the most valuable? | #Marketing | #Insight | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee - October 7, 2021
- Ubuntu is the spirit of wealth | Investing in YOUR people | #Insight | Nelisiwe Massabgo | #ebizradio - October 7, 2021
- THE NEW REASON TO GET UP FOR WORK IN THE MORNING – Becoming a future-fit employer in a Pandemic | #Business | #Insight | Sibongile Bobo Mngxali | Roche Diagnostics | #ebizradio - October 6, 2021