There is currently a massive PR and legal battle occurring between the cellphone companies of South Africa: One side includes MTN and Vodacom, the other is Cell C and Telkom Mobile/8ta, stuck in the middle is ICASA, South Africa’s telecommunications regulator…..
At the heart of the current struggle is the rate that cellular companies charge for connections between their networks and others. The price of a connection between say a Cell C customer and a MTN one is capped at 40c for the phone call (the same price applies for connections between any two differing networks). ICASA recently decided to lower that cap to 20c. The smaller networks are publicly behind this decision, whilst the larger companies of MTN and Vodacom are against it.
What began as a disagreement has now evolved into a full scale PR war being waged on social and print media, with courtroom proceedings expected as well. Ulrich discusses the current situation, as well as the general state of the telecommunications industry…..
MTN advert defending their actions and positions:
Below is Cell C’s brilliant response (without taking sides, one can still see how brilliant from a PR perspective the response was):
- Insights on Data 9 : Actionable Intelligence further examined | #eBizInsights |Marchant Laauween of Atvance Intellect | Podcast - July 11, 2020
- Insights on Data 8: Actionable Intelligence and how it’s the core of Data today|#eBizInsights | Sean Raubenheimer of Atvance Intellect| Podcast - July 9, 2020
- How to make your brand stand out in a pandemic |#Opinion |#Podcast|#Redzone Channel - July 7, 2020
- Synthesis ‘taps’ into the future of payments | #eBizWires - July 6, 2020
- Pockets of opportunity can always be found in adversity | #eBizWires | Neo Mtshatsheni - July 6, 2020
- Insights on Data 7: POPI gets implemented; now to help Business comply | #eBizInsights | Jayson O’Reilly of Atvance Intellect| Podcast - July 1, 2020
- Covid-19 killed traditional disaster recovery | #eBizInsights - July 1, 2020
- NGO’s during the Pandemic; Hope at the Darkest of times| #eBizPayItForward|Nomthi Mnisi | Podcast - June 30, 2020
- The ‘new normal’ way to operate your business | #eBizWires - June 29, 2020
- The business of sports broadcasting – live sport is back! | #eBizWires| Andile Qokweni - June 27, 2020