There is currently a massive PR and legal battle occurring between the cellphone companies of South Africa: One side includes MTN and Vodacom, the other is Cell C and Telkom Mobile/8ta, stuck in the middle is ICASA, South Africa’s telecommunications regulator…..
At the heart of the current struggle is the rate that cellular companies charge for connections between their networks and others. The price of a connection between say a Cell C customer and a MTN one is capped at 40c for the phone call (the same price applies for connections between any two differing networks). ICASA recently decided to lower that cap to 20c. The smaller networks are publicly behind this decision, whilst the larger companies of MTN and Vodacom are against it.
What began as a disagreement has now evolved into a full scale PR war being waged on social and print media, with courtroom proceedings expected as well. Ulrich discusses the current situation, as well as the general state of the telecommunications industry…..
MTN advert defending their actions and positions:
Below is Cell C’s brilliant response (without taking sides, one can still see how brilliant from a PR perspective the response was):
- Redstor offers Joyce’s Soup Kitchen some much needed support| #eBizPayItForward - December 4, 2019
- How what you study can lead to unexplored paths |#eBizInsights | Jamal Sahib - December 4, 2019
- Software licencing should be getting simpler, but it’s not | #eBizInsights |Richard Firth - December 4, 2019
- Syrex spreads some Santa Shoebox joy this festive season | #eBizPayItForward - December 4, 2019
- The real value of Paid Search and tracking the consumer journey |#eBizInsights| - December 4, 2019
- HAWKERS, HUSTLERS AND HERO’S | #Opinion | Ingrid von Stein - December 3, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #10 A wrap up with SAB| #eBizEntrepreneur |Phumzile Chifunyise - December 3, 2019
- Offshore Investments: A Road map| #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - December 2, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #9 Crispy Crop| #eBizEntrepreneur |Siphamandla Bilitane - December 2, 2019
- The power of positive sentiment, rugby and great business | #eBizInsight | Chris Botha - November 28, 2019