On any given day, 300 million women and girls around the world will be menstruating. Sadly, according to a recent report by the United Nations’ Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, the majority of those women and girls will not have access to clean and safe sanitary products and instead use dirty rags, straw, sand or newspaper to manage their periods.
Furthermore, the grave lack of appropriate sanitary products can push menstruating girls out of school temporarily and sometimes even permanently.
Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network, Sub-Saharan Africa
In South Africa, most rural girls and many urban township girls miss approximately one week of school per month whilst they are menstruating – equating to 12 weeks per year. What this means is that that are missing a quarter of their school education.
With its vision of providing a platform for the inspiration and empowerment of women, the Businesswomen’s Association of South Africa’s (BWACT) launched its ‘Girls Becoming Women with Dignity’ project in 2013 with the support of Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network and BWACT’s Corporate Business Woman of the Year 2013. They launched the project at the Zamisa Primary School in Langa, Western Cape and most recently at Beacon School in Mitchell’s Plein.
Lana Marias, Communications Manager, Dentsu Aegis Network pictured with some of the pupils at Beach School
- Motoring News of the Week | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 25, 2021
- Robotics in Retail – What does this mean for you and your business? | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 22, 2021
- The Youth Unemployment Crisis – What is the impact on individuals and the economy | #Insights | Bryden Morton | Chris Blair | 21st Century | #ebizradio - October 20, 2021
- Going Digital against #GBV | MIP partners with TEARS Foundation | Richard Firth | Mara Glennie | #Digital | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- Firstwatch announces 2021 initiative to support entrepreneurs | #Entrepreneurs | #PayItForward | #ebizradio - October 19, 2021
- See me, Understand me, Learn with me | #Insight | #Education | The Montessori model enters your home | Madeline Hoban | InHome Montessori - October 19, 2021
- Is your business ready for the new frontier of hybrid working | Business Brunch with Björn | #Entrepreneur | #Technology | Craig Johnson | NSN.CO.ZA - October 19, 2021
- Abundance is not what’s in your wallet | #Insight | #LunchtimeSeries | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- How important is Employer Branding to you and your business? | #Insight | #HR | Pabi Mogosetsi | UNIVERSUM | #Podcast | #ebizradio - October 18, 2021
- Motoring News | Diesel and Dust | Tumelo Maketekete | #Motoring | #ebizradio | #Podcast - October 15, 2021