On any given day, 300 million women and girls around the world will be menstruating. Sadly, according to a recent report by the United Nations’ Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, the majority of those women and girls will not have access to clean and safe sanitary products and instead use dirty rags, straw, sand or newspaper to manage their periods.
Furthermore, the grave lack of appropriate sanitary products can push menstruating girls out of school temporarily and sometimes even permanently.
Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network, Sub-Saharan Africa
In South Africa, most rural girls and many urban township girls miss approximately one week of school per month whilst they are menstruating – equating to 12 weeks per year. What this means is that that are missing a quarter of their school education.
With its vision of providing a platform for the inspiration and empowerment of women, the Businesswomen’s Association of South Africa’s (BWACT) launched its ‘Girls Becoming Women with Dignity’ project in 2013 with the support of Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network and BWACT’s Corporate Business Woman of the Year 2013. They launched the project at the Zamisa Primary School in Langa, Western Cape and most recently at Beacon School in Mitchell’s Plein.
Lana Marias, Communications Manager, Dentsu Aegis Network pictured with some of the pupils at Beach School
- At a time of Lockdown, Online Media offers new opportunities | #eBizInsights| Ursula McDonald | Podcast - March 26, 2020
- A forced stop! Now what? | #eBizInsights | Howard Feldman - March 26, 2020
- What you need to know before buying a second hand car #Insight |#Kriben Reddy |#TransUnion | Podcast - March 24, 2020
- A guide to working from home | # eBizInsights | #eBizHealth | Devan Moonsamy - March 23, 2020
- The Marijuana economy is here| #eBizInsights | Stephen Smith and David Anderson - March 18, 2020
- Health and Finance |#eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker | Podcast - March 18, 2020
- A time of great disruption is upon us all – Digital audio’s time is now! |#Insight |#Nic von Stein - March 17, 2020
- COVID-19 and its potential effect on media in SA|#eBizWires | - March 17, 2020
- Rapid Data — Fast decision-making with the right data at the right time | # eBizInsights | Tom Wells - March 16, 2020
- Remote working during Covid-19 pandemic a reality with free software offer | #EbizWires - March 16, 2020