On any given day, 300 million women and girls around the world will be menstruating. Sadly, according to a recent report by the United Nations’ Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, the majority of those women and girls will not have access to clean and safe sanitary products and instead use dirty rags, straw, sand or newspaper to manage their periods.
Furthermore, the grave lack of appropriate sanitary products can push menstruating girls out of school temporarily and sometimes even permanently.
Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network, Sub-Saharan Africa
In South Africa, most rural girls and many urban township girls miss approximately one week of school per month whilst they are menstruating – equating to 12 weeks per year. What this means is that that are missing a quarter of their school education.
With its vision of providing a platform for the inspiration and empowerment of women, the Businesswomen’s Association of South Africa’s (BWACT) launched its ‘Girls Becoming Women with Dignity’ project in 2013 with the support of Dawn Rowlands, CEO Dentsu Aegis Network and BWACT’s Corporate Business Woman of the Year 2013. They launched the project at the Zamisa Primary School in Langa, Western Cape and most recently at Beacon School in Mitchell’s Plein.
Lana Marias, Communications Manager, Dentsu Aegis Network pictured with some of the pupils at Beach School
- Insights on Data 7: POPI gets implemented; now to help Business comply | #eBizInsights | Jayson O’Reilly of Atvance Intellect| Podcast - July 1, 2020
- Covid-19 killed traditional disaster recovery | #eBizInsights - July 1, 2020
- The ‘new normal’ way to operate your business | #eBizWires - July 1, 2020
- NGO’s during the Pandemic; Hope at the Darkest of times| #eBizPayItForward|Nomthi Mnisi | Podcast - June 27, 2020
- The business of sports broadcasting – live sport is back! | #eBizWires| Andile Qokweni - June 27, 2020
- Digitalising customer engagement vital for retail insurance growth | #eBizInsights - June 27, 2020
- The role South Africans can play as active citizens |#Matalane Ngobeni |#Podcast - June 24, 2020
- Insights on Data 6:How Hacks occur; a fast, ever-evolving landscape | #eBizInsights| Jayson O’Reilly of Atvance Intellect| Podcast - June 23, 2020
- Being an ”Essential Service” during Lockdown, Vox’s experience | #eBizInsights | Jacques du Toit of Vox| Podcast - June 18, 2020
- Covid-19 provides construction industry with opportunity for change | #eBizInsight - June 18, 2020