This year in South Africa, there has been a shortage of medical equipment and drug shortages across the country. One of the problems, is that most of the needed equipment or drugs is imported:
This highlights a core weakness in the local economy, that of not having a local production site for goods needed in a modern advanced economy, medical needs are just one of the examples among many.
Akacia manufactures and distributes branded generic prescription, over-the-counter and complementary medicines, with leading positions in several pharmaceutical market segments.
The product range includes the well known probiotic brand Reuterina, which is ranked number one in the anti-diarrhoeal market with over 30% share, as well as Sinucon and Sinuend which are top three brands in the cold and flu market.
Ascendis Health chief executive officer, Dr Karsten Wellner, said following the recent acquisition of Spanish pharma company Farmalider and 85 registered product dossiers from Sandoz, the Akacia acquisition will create significant scale for the Ascendis Pharma division.
“This will certainly elevate our presence in domestic and international pharma markets, and create a strong platform for expansion. We will also gain access to lucrative new channels such as retail pharmacy and prescribing doctors, and add further well established branded generics with strong margins to our portfolio,” said Dr Wellner.
The transaction includes Akacia Pharma’s 23 000m² manufacturing facility in Isando, Johannesburg, which is valued at R100 million. The facility is licenced by the Medicines Control Council (MCC) and certified as a Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) site.
Dr Wellner said the manufacturing plant has significant spare capacity which will enable Ascendis to increase local production of its existing pharmaceutical and complementary medicine ranges.
“This aligns with our vertical integration strategy aimed at creating synergies between our businesses which will improve margins. Local manufacture will also reduce our foreign exchange exposure and enable us to tender for state contracts which favour local manufacture,” he said.
Akacia also manufactures pharmaceutical products for third parties under contract licencing agreements.
In the year to July 2015 Akacia Pharma generated earnings before interest and tax of R38 million, from a net asset value of R215 million.
“Strategically this is an important acquisition as it will bring significant synergies and critical mass, and accelerate the growth of Ascendis Pharma. Akacia has developed a strong reputation in the South African pharmaceutical market over the past decade.”
“The combination of a suite of market leading brands, established trade relationships, new channels and enhanced pharmaceutical manufacturing capability should ensure that Akacia within Ascendis Pharma will become a sizeable contributor to the group’s earnings,” added Dr Wellner.
The acquisition is subject to regulatory and competition approvals.
- Ground One Coffee is stirring it up! | #LTM | Lunchtime Marketing | #Marketing | Kevin Britz | Craig Page-Lee | Shane Radebe | Letsi Mailula | #Podcast | #ebizradio | Hollard Insure - November 25, 2021
- Roche launches cobas pureintegrated solutions analyser to help simplify operations in small to medium sized labs |#News | #Medical | Roche Diagnostics Sandra Orta - November 24, 2021
- Young artists invited to illustrate the spirit of wealth | Ubuntu Invest | Art | Neliswe Msango |Competition | #ebizradio | #Podcast - November 24, 2021
- Excuse Me | Unscripted Life | Clive Vanderwagen | Bongi Archi | #SupportLocal | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 23, 2021
- Every behavior is driven by a motivation | #LTL | Leadership | Kevin Britz | Naomi Basson | #Podcast | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- South Africa’s most attractive Employers – Universum Global demystifies the new employment landscape | #HumanResources | #Insight | #ebizradio - November 22, 2021
- In the NEWS – the week that was | #News | Kuhle Tshabalala | #eBizradio | #Podcast - November 19, 2021
- Let all children know they’re loved this – Universal Children’s Day | #News | Dr Jerry Gule | The Love Trust | #ebizradio - November 19, 2021
- THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS – A story of a movie that shaped an entrepreneur’s vision | #Opinion | Nelisiwe Masngo | Ubuntu Invest | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021
- The Firstwatch Entrepreneurial Challenge 2021 is live | #Entrepreneur | Simo Nzama | #ebizradio - November 18, 2021