Craig Page-Lee is back with key insights into the Retail sector…
He and Nick cover two key topics, one hot off the press as it happened only recently – and the other- a topic that is gathering much press and concern as it relates to invasion of privacy.
The first topic cover “Singles day” – Alibaba’s annual online shopping event for single and unmarried shoppers, the second topic covers the issue of facial recognition technology and the question around opt-in and privacy.
Let’s start with “Singles Day”
So what is singles day and why is it significant?
BBC News website:
E-commerce giant Alibaba has broken its own record for sales on China’s Singles Day, the world’s biggest online shopping event.
By the close of trade, the site had seen sales worth 91.2bn yuan ($14.3bn; £9.4bn), a 60% increase from last year.
In comparison, sales on Cyber Monday, which is the biggest online shopping day in the US, hit $1.35bn, according to data analytics firm ComScore.
Singles Day is held every year on 11 November.
The day is also referred to as Double Eleven because of its date.
The other topic is that of facial recognition software and how retailers have begun (controversially) to use it to target consumers often via social media:
“Did Walmart cross a line with its facial recognition tech test?
Whether or not the public at large will accept the use of facial recognition in their daily lives remains to be seen, but it is clear that retailers are willing to investigate whether the controversial technology has a role to play in stores. Fortune, for example, recently reported that Walmart had been testing the use of facial recognition technology to identify shoplifters.
A consumer survey quoted in RetailWire in August of 2015 noted that 75 percent of consumers said they would not shop at a store that used facial recognition for marketing purposes.
Craig Page-Lee is the MD of Posterscope – SA’s leading Out Of Home specialists. He is passionate about retail and has a background in design and architecture and one day dreams of heading off on a world adventure on his motor-cycle.
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #4 Meso Farming Industries| #eBizEntrepreneur |Katlego Meso - November 19, 2019
- Welcome to a new customer experience world | #eBizInsights | Paul McIntyre - November 19, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #3 TC Woman in Action Farming| #eBizEntrepreneur |Rinae Tshikangavhadzi - November 19, 2019
- Ransomware in 2019| #eBizInsights - November 19, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #2 TechFarma| #eBizEntrepreneur |Khutso Njenga - November 18, 2019
- Ready, steady, grow with new jobs in new industries, BPESA an Introduction | #eBizInsights | Andy Searle - November 18, 2019
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution: It’s the end of the world as we know it! Or is it? | #eBizInsights |Claire Herman - November 18, 2019
- Sexual harassment – A workplace problem not going away | #eBizWires | - November 18, 2019
- SAB Urban Agriculture Podcasts: #1 VT Harvest| #eBizEntrepreneur |Vutlhari Chauke - November 15, 2019
- Your Health and Money: A wealth of options| #eBizFinance | Sylvia Walker - November 14, 2019