As has been the case for the past nine years, last month saw financial technology company Synthesis Software Technologies (Synthesis) celebrating Mandela Day with Afrika Tikkun, an organisation committed to developing and uplifting young people living in underprivileged communities.
The company embarked on outreach activities in Cape Town (Zolile Malindi Community Centre) and Johannesburg (Phuthaditjaba Community Centre in Alexandra, Arekopaneng Community Centre in Orange Farm, Wings of Life in Diepsloot and Braamfontein, Uthando Community Centre).
At Zolile Malindi, the Synthesis team not only gave an insightful talk on embracing change, but also handed over tablets to be used for the early childhood development classes catering for the 219 young children there. Synthesis also demonstrated coding in action through the Scratch programme. Finally, the Synthesis team got the opportunity to be creative in the new computer room at the centre by installing a Mandela podium there.
In Alexandra, the team kicked off the festivities by creating a war cry for the children which they found quite entertaining. The team split into two groups – one to paint the computer room and the other to engage with some of the older students who would be graduating next month. And to prepare these students for life after studies, Synthesis conducted mock interviews to give them invaluable experience.
At Arekopaneng in Orange Farm, Synthesis handed over tablets for learners. The team also engaged with some of the senior students to prepare them for what happens after their graduation and what they can expect from the ICT industry. Additionally, Synthesis worked on decorating the computer room and ended the day by listening to wonderful talks from students about their own experiences.
The Wings of Life Synthesis team provided a motivational talk to students and highlighted the importance of what the Fourth Industrial Revolution would mean in their lives. The team also split into two groups – one to decorate the second floor of the centre with the other conducting practical training on coding and programming. The day concluded with the Synthesis team handing over computers to the Wings of Life centre.
In Braamfontein, the team handed over tablets and delivered an uplifting talk to the youngsters at the centre. They moved on to the multimedia room to install new desktop computers and engaged with learners there. Synthesis demonstrated the Scratch programme to give them a glimpse into the world of development.
“This was a great day spent with Afrika Tikkun to further learning and training of not only the learners and children there, but also the teachers and trainers. We are excited by the opportunities partnering with Afrika Tikkun provide us to continually find innovative ways of growing the country’s future leaders,” says Michael Shapiro, MD at Synthesis.
CEO of Afrika Tikkun, Marc Lubner says: “When it comes to education I am always reminded of the amazing quote by Nelson Mandela, where he says that ‘education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.’ Together with Synthesis, we are changing the world through education.”
Synthesis Software Technologies, founded in 1997, offers specialised software development, consulting and integration services and technology-based product solutions to banking and financial institutions in South Africa and other emerging markets.
As Amazon Web Services’ first company to achieve Advanced Consulting Partner status in Africa, Synthesis is focused on building advanced cloud architecture for customers, delivering cost-efficient, web-scale and highly available services with global reach.
Synthesis is a true South African success story, with JSE-listed Capital Appreciation Limited, having acquired 100 per cent of the company in 2017. Following the acquisition Synthesis remains an independent operating entity within the Capital Appreciation Group.
- WHY CORPORATES HAVE TO ADJUST NOW! |#LTC |#Kevinbritz | Mpume Ncube-Daka |#ebizradio |#Podcast - January 13, 2021
- WHAT OWNS YOU? |#LTC |#Coaching |#Kevinbritz | Angela Hardy |#Podcast |#ebizradio - January 12, 2021
- Rethinking organisational design and effectiveness through CEOship |#OneEyedMan |Rowan Belchers | Lockstep |#ebizradio |#Podcast |#Mikestopforth - January 11, 2021
- Behavior is Truth |#LTL |#Leadership |Mike Abel |#Kevinbritz | Naomi Basson |#ebizradio |#podcast - January 11, 2021
- Looking forward to 2021 | #eBizTrends| Dion Chang| Podcast - January 4, 2021
- Driving demand for local businesses this festive season| #eBizWires | Daryn van Arkel |Podcast - December 18, 2020
- Why podcasting is an effective marketing tool |#Marketing | Paulo Dias |Ultimate Media | #ebizradio - December 17, 2020
- HOW DID I LAND UP HERE? #LTC |#Coaching |#KevinBritz |Julio Muhorro |Sharing Knowledge International #Podcast |#ebizradio - December 15, 2020
- Do you want to go to MONEY SCHOOL? |#Digital |#Mbali Ndhlovu | Nabeel Khan |#MoneyTalks |#podcast - December 15, 2020
- CARING IS THE FUTURE OF LEADERSHIP |#kevinbritz | Naomi Basson | #leadership | John Joubert |#cocacola |Peninsula Beverages - December 14, 2020